It’s official! Summer is here and from it start this week it’s going to be a hot summer but the Rim of the World Recreation and Park District has a lot of fun events and programs that should help cool participants mentally and physically.
* The new Youth Sailing Program will be held at the Lake Arrowhead Yacht Club where children will learn sailing theory, terminology, boat handling, boat safety, right-of-way (an important thing to learn so you’re not involved in accidents), the skills involved in docking that boat and all about knots. This fun program will be held from July 21-25.
* The Rim of the World Mountain Biking program begins this month and runs up until next January. All teenagers, 14 to 18-years-old are welcome to register. The group meets on Tuesdays at 5 p.m. and on Thursdays at 8 a.m. in the bike room at Rim High School.
* The Summer Tennis Program is also located at Rim High and it is open for youth and adults. Taught by USPTA Professional player Scott Smith this program runs from June 23 through July 17 and it will provide the “fun-damentals” of tennis that everyone can enjoy. There is still time to register for sessions 3 and 4.
“Heads Up Volleyball is Here!” The Rim Volleyball Club meets in the New Gym at Rim High on Mondays at 8 a.m. and on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 4:30 p.m. The park district is also generating an interest list for an adult Woman’s Volleyball League that will likely begin in September if there’s enough women who sign up for this innovative idea. So ladies, if you love volleyball here’s your chance to have a great time, get some fantastic exercise and meet a whole lot of magnificent mountain women.
* Rim High School Football Coach Jim Taylor is offering a cross-training program at the Rim High Football Field and gym. This program is for current high school students or new students who will be entering high school in the fall. This is a non-contact summer skills program that runs through July 31.
* Those interested in fitness should join the new Physical Fitness Boxing Camp. The ongoing monthly program incorporates a non-contact form of strength building and includes circuit training workouts and high-intensity, high-energy cardio cross training. This program will be held Monday through Friday from 9 to 10 a.m. or 6:15 to 7:15 p.m. at the Valencia Boxing Gym at Arrowhead Ranch. For Karate the recreation district offers a Karate Do program and a Mixed Martial Arts program for children and adults.
* The new Water Aerobics program meets Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6 p.m. This program is open to anyone from 14-years-old to 90-years-old and it can certainly help flexibility, endurance, weight loss and weight management.
* Not to be left out the popular and low cost Yoga program is another option. Jenifer Crary, the instructor, offers children, teens and adult yoga program that help alleviate stress, they release endorphins and they smooth tension buildup in the muscles and joints. (Doesn’t that sound like something everyone would want?)
There are many more programs that will continue throughout the summer months including the always popular gymnastics and dance programs.
For information or a complete list of all the classes offered by the Rim of the World Recreation and Park District log onto: http://www.rim-rec.org or visit the office that is located next to the Elks Lodge on Hwy. 18 in Rimforest. There are a lot of new programs so take some time, log onto the website and pick the ones you want. It will be fun, you’ll feel better, you’ll feel creative and you’ll have a great time meeting new friends. If you have questions or you want to talk to a “live person” rather than going online you can call the district office at (909) 337-PARK for more program information. The friendly staff will be happy to help!
What’s not to like? Have a great summer!